Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Why we went negative on Jud Gilbert

Our mailer about Jud Gilbert uses a tombstone to symbolize Jud Gilbert's voting record with regard to working class people and their families. Simply put, Gilbert is burying respect for people who work very hard, often for very little. We acknowledge this will be considered a "negative ad." Still, we felt compelled to expose the facts. Consider this, we're not trying to catch anyone with mustard on his chin. We aren't looking into anyone's personal life. We are telling the truth about our Senator, a man who has not voted with the collective interests of the people in mind.

Here are some of the points we make:

Jud Gilbert authored a bill that would require our children's teachers to ask permission from their employers before they could get a new job. This idea is more than incredibly backward workplace policy. It is reinstating indentured servitude. And, considering the overwhelming majority of our public school teachers are women, this plan reeks of misogyny.

Jud Gilbert shows no respect for people who have worked hard every day, yet they find themselves
victims of outsourcing and downsizing. Gilbert voted to make these taxpayers wait longer for their unemployment benefits. Gilbert also had an opportunity to increase these benefits, and chose not to.

When the Michigan State Senate was voting on a resolution to ask our federal government to close loop holes that give tax breaks to corporations for moving their manufacturing operations out of the United States, Gilbert voted NO.

Jud Gilbert voted
to cut important public school programs that helped kids learn to read.

Investigate Gilbert's record for yourself. Visit http://www.senate.michigan.gov/ .



BlueNovember.Org endorses Gary Orr
for Michigan State Senator of the 25th District.
He will put the interests of ordinary people first.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was quite offended by the post card delivered to my house against Jud Gilbert. The picture of the tombstone was very offensive. I had recently lost my husband to cancer and the Gilbert Funeral took care of my family at this sad time. How could someone justify using that kind of slogan. Do you even realise that Jud Gilbert had also recently lost his mother to death. How can you send something out like this. And you call yourselfs americans for the working class I don't think so. I find this very disturbing and very offensive. My family and I are a blue collar working family and very proud of it. We work hard for everything we have and continue to do so to our best ability. You should be ashamed of yourself. When I found this in my mail box do you know what it did to me. Especially after what I had been through and Gilbert Funeral Home took care of the funeral details. In the future do not ever send me anything again this offensive.

Sylvia Faulman

Anonymous said...

If you do not approve of what I had to say that shows me that youonly respond to postive feedback to your mailing. Which tells me that you only want to provide negatives comments against the politicians you don't endorse. How many other people might be offended about this mailing with a tombstone on it. That was just horrible, it upset me very much. I had to say my piece. Thank You

Susan Alderman said...

Dear Ms. Faulman,

First, let me say that I am very sorry you have recently been through the loss of your husband. My father died at the age of 45. He had liver cancer. I understand how heartbroken you feel. Also I am glad to hear you felt well taken care of by the Gilbert Funeral Home.

Now let me say that Senator Gilbert has not served working class people well at all.

He voted to redefine workplace safety standards to help corporations make more money while making their employees less safe.

He authored a bill that would force a teacher to gain permission from her school district before she could accept a new job. This is a dangerous idea. Can you imagine having the opportunity to take a better job, but not being able to until your boss gave you permission?

Senator Gilbert voted to make it harder for unemployed workers to receive the benefits they earned.

Yes, we used a gravestone to create a metaphor. We believe Senator Gilbert is "burying" the Working Class with his voting record in the Michigan Senate.

I come from a working class family as well. This man may have served you well as his customer, but I don't believe he serves you well as a citizen.

Sincerely,

Susan Alderman